Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Camera stops working frequently...
By: StevenB
Topics: 11
Added: 02/06/2008 - 01:46 AM

I am in the process of trying to find the cause of this problem, either it be Abelcam or a Logitech driver issue. Frequently the camera will 'turn off' and stop working, displaying the default Orbit camera picture inside of Abelcam. When I restart Abelcam it works again till the next time. The camera runs from days down to hours.

I am running on Windows 2003 SBS with this camera information...

Quickcam Orbit/Sphere MP

USB\Vid_046d&Pid_08cc&Rev_0005&MI_00
USB\Vid_046d&Pid_08cc&MI_00

Logitech Driver v11.5.0.1145 dated 10/11/2007

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Added: 02/13/2008 - 02:59 AM

It's funny you found that, I started that one as well. It would be nice if Abelcam could turn the camera off and back on automatically. It seems as that self check hasnt changed a thing. Hmmm, what to do...
By: StevenO
Topics: 13
Added: 02/13/2008 - 04:43 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

SSE I hope you do not trust what some named KachiWachi types in a forum. Looks like most of their posts are simplistic questions then a response based on "I don't think that the camera was designed with ...". What did they use to say - that plus 25 cents would buy you a cup of coffee. Today it would be more like - that plus $5 would buy you a starbucks. In plain terms I don't think they posted anything of value.

Not that I can offer anything of value. My last great idea of manually setting the USB bandwidth for the camera to 50% or so has failed. The Orbit AFs on both the VISTA and XP machines have stopped a couple of times in the past week. So I am still searching for the mystical cause and solution for the problem.

Maybe if I try a usb to serial to ethernet to scsi to firewire to bluetooth to usb converter ... Melvin what do you think of the idea? What if I swap the scsi and bluetooth???

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 02/13/2008 - 09:37 PM

Frankly, StevenO, I don't think it'll work unless you add a fiber segment to that link-up. Might need to bounce it off the satellite too, so have a microwave transceiver available just in case. Cool!

Being a bit more serious for a moment, I've spent enough time lurking in Logitech forums to have developed a very low opinion of KachiWachi and his "answers". That poster is NOT a Logitech employee and he seems (IMO) rather clueless a lot of the time.

Now that I've called Kachi "clueless" I have to admit I've run out of ideas myself on what could be making the cams shut off. Pot/kettle/black, eh? Wink I will keep thinking about it and post if I get any bright ideas.

I suspect this is redundant, but I should mention that 90% of my USB problems have turned out to be power related. One tip-off is if the cam shutdowns tend to happen when the Pan/Tilt is moved (i.e. the motor current causes the voltage on the wire to drop, leading to a spontaneous partial reset of the hardware). Power problems tend to decrease or disappear when the devices are tested by plugging directly into the computer. My biggest power offenders are PowerPods and TrackerPods but I've seen it on Orbits occasionally too.
By: RobertB
Topics: 14
Added: 02/19/2008 - 09:36 PM

I'm not sure my problem is related to the above but my camera will stop streaming the video when using either Java Script Stream or the Java Stream. It'll work for several minutes or an hour or and then the video will freeze. If I just refresh the page it restores the streaming. I have the "No limit" setting turned on. Any ideas or is there another setting I need to set?

It seems to work fine on the Configurable Stream.

Thanks,

Robert
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 02/20/2008 - 10:16 AM

I have no idea what the problem is, but I can offer you a quick fix.

in the javascript/ajax.html page, change
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300;url=/" >
to
<meta http-equiv="refresh" content="300;url=/javascript/ajax.html" >

This will reload the page every 300secs and get the stream going again.
You could use the same line on the Java Stream page.

BTW - if the java stream stops, you can just click on the applet to restart the stream.
By: RobertB
Topics: 14
Added: 02/20/2008 - 05:35 PM

Thanks, Stefan but it was not that critical of an issue to begin with and pressing the stream button to restore the streaming is a palatable workaround. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a setting or configuration issue on my part.

Best regards,

Robert
Added: 04/26/2008 - 04:49 AM

Well I seemed to find my solution to this problem...

In the camera config xml file I changed the wait time for this value...

<MaxFrameWaitTime>140000</MaxFrameWaitTime>

I changed it to 140000 from 1400 and it has not turned off for me in over 30 days.
By: DomenicoS
Topics: 59
Added: 06/19/2009 - 01:38 AM

I have same problem, Sphere MP (11.5.0 driver), directly in PC, cheep USB 2.0 card.
Before I also lovered FPS to 0.5 to reduce CPU usage, but after few months i got lines on picture if FPS i lower than 20 FPS...

Pic- error lines

Before, with same configuration I get cam worked for month without problems, now it stops every 2-7 days.

I set check to 30 and restart to 30, before it woos 60/10. (desperate moveSmile

I also believe in this, but wish to know what is changed, is webcam slowly "dieing"..?

"I suspect this is redundant, but I should mention that 90% of my USB problems have turned out to be power related. One tip-off is if the cam shutdowns tend to happen when the Pan/Tilt is moved (i.e. the motor current causes the voltage on the wire to drop, leading to a spontaneous partial reset of the hardware)."
By: DomenicoS
Topics: 59
Added: 06/20/2009 - 09:50 AM

I check "send mail if camera fail" but after And pres file/save, but after AbelCam restart it allways goes blank, it uncheck it self.

What I'm doing wrong?
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 06/20/2009 - 10:58 AM

From DomenicoS:
I check "send mail if camera fail" but after And pres file/save, but after AbelCam restart it allways goes blank, it uncheck it self.

What I'm doing wrong?

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. I just tested it here: same thing happened. After re-start, checkbox is un-checked and all the address & server entries cleared too.

You should probably post in the current release's thread on Issue Tracker to get this noticed and fixed.