Absolute positioning
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 07/12/2005 - 06:51 PM

please add your input about absolute positioning here
By: Adam
Topics: 19
Added: 07/30/2005 - 10:09 AM

I have checked the box to make sure my camera is 'listed' - I assume this will become available on the site soon.

I am using both IE and Firefox too - and I already have the cache turned off for both.
Added: 07/30/2005 - 12:59 PM

you need to stop/start the web server for it to get listed as LogiSphere only connects 'back home' on web server start
Added: 07/31/2005 - 10:35 AM

Adam, I did some testing on your camera. Now that there is some light, things were clearer Frin

I don't know what your current delay setting is, but to me it looked as if it should have a higher value.
As you wrote, positioning over a long distance does not work fine. This is the result of too short a delay, when the
next step is executed before the previous one is completed (from the software point of view)

I still have hopes to achieve a better positioning some day (to straight to a position instead of step by step), hopefully
before version 1.0...
Added: 07/31/2005 - 11:05 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

The step delay was 100 when you were testing it earlier. I left it at this, as it seemed to do the same whatever step delay I used (just goes slower!).

Its now at 500 and I'm sure you'll see it does exactly the same....

On a seperate note (that may be related) I've noticed that I can only do left/right/up/down movements of a maximum of ten (e.g. I cannot do Left-30 or Right-50, but only Left-10 & Right-10) - Is this a limitation or a bug?
What's I found interesting was if I tried to request 3 x Left-10 too quickly after one another, if also has the same effect as a low step delay (didn't go quite as far).
Added: 08/01/2005 - 12:11 PM

the step limit to 10 is a limitation, not a bug. I wanted to avoid people entering /left-200 and blocking the cam for a long time.
By: Pete
Topics: 52
Added: 08/01/2005 - 12:43 PM

Hi ! I upgraded to 0.9.0 and tried the absolute positioning out. I set the delay to 1000 so I could
watch the cam move, and counted the number of steps by eye. Taking the cam for a little "walk"
I homed (0,0) and then got the following results:

-5,0 = 3 moves to the right
-5,5 = 3 moves up
-5,0 = 2 moves down
-5,-5 = 3 moves down
-0,-5 = 3 moves to the left
-5,-5 = 3 moves to the left
-10,-5 = 3 moves to the left

The final position was queried and was pan=-30, tilt=-5

A factor of 2-3 missing somewhere ? Feel free to try this out yourself.

Pete
By: Churton
Topics: 11
Added: 08/01/2005 - 08:37 PM

I have the exact same issue with the absolute positioning not working correctly. I have a number of points of interest in my back yard and I have them as a web link under the java camera disply on my web page. I noticed immediatly upon upgrading higher than 8.5 that they didn't go to the correct position. Two points are at 240 (-31,0) and 90 degree's (+31,0) - (exactly perpendicularly left and right of the camera). When I upgrade from 8.5 to 9.0, instead of swinging to the left at 240 degree's, it seems to only swing to 300 or so. To the right it swings only to about 45 degree's, not over to 90 as before. If I uninstall 9.0 and go back to 8.5, it works find and I get the full 180 degree swing.Cry
Added: 08/02/2005 - 06:32 AM

Bug has been found and fixed. Upgrade to 0.9.1

Thanks to everybody for reporting the problem

If you have 0.9.0 installed, see the Member Page for a upgrade shortcut - no need to download the whole package.
By: Pete
Topics: 52
Added: 08/04/2005 - 11:34 AM

Hi ! After more testing of how the camera moves either with logisphere, or just using the
quick assistant window, I have come to the conclusion that at least in the cam I have, the motion
control doesn't give a linear angular motion per step. Sometimes it will move a little sometimes
a lot. As the logisphere program counts the steps it's made and can only assume they are constant,
but my cam doesn't, the absolute or relative positioning sometimes doesn't get it right.
Changing the step delay in logisphere doesn't seem to have an impact. Homing sometimes jams a
little and have to do it twice...

I found an interesting link:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/thread12298.html

Does anyone else see this problem I am wondering ?

Pete
Added: 08/04/2005 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, I think I may be noticing a slight amount of this:

It seems if I select an absolute position right after I have reset to home (say: pos-13,-10), I often get a different position than if I move to some far positions (say: pos--32,-1), then go back to that same/first absolute position (it aint far out, but it definately isn't exactly the same spot).