Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Does a Skype Interface make sense?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 10/27/2005 - 06:46 PM

There's a API (application programming interface) for Skype. This allows me to integrate some of Skypes functionality in LogiSphere.

What do you think about that?

What features would you like to see?
By: StefanI
Topics: 0
Added: 11/03/2005 - 05:51 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

That was exactly what I was looking for when I installed LogiShere. I was looking for a way for a non-profit organization to do video confrencing. Skype was the perfect solution for the voice part but had no video. I was investigating if it was possable to have all the members required for the confrences install LogiSphere and and view each other through each others web pages as they talk over Skype. So far I've had my nephew view my camera as we spoke to each other with Skype, so it works with one stream.

So I am definately interested. As for features I'd like a video window in Skype with a list of every person i'm connected with. Clicking on any name would make that persons camera the active video stream. This would make Skype quite useful for basic video confrencing.

I have no idea if this is practicle but that's what I was looking for
Thanks
Stefan
By: Norman
Topics: 28
Added: 11/21/2005 - 06:59 AM

I'd prefer something based on a SIP VOIP standard if any voice software was to be included into the software. Something based on the SIP protocol. The only problem I see with skype (that I have not seen mentioned here yet surprisingly) is that it is made by the same people who made Kazaa; using the same technology as file sharing to connect users.

As you can see, when you have skype running it is constantly eating away at part of your bandwidth when you are not in a call to carry around other users conversations. I think with some users this may interfere with a quality picture on their camera and for me it is not something I would invite onto my network.

SIP, meaning Session Initiated Protocol, is exactly that. Your phone logs in to tell the server you are online and where to reach you. That's it. Unless you are making a call, its really not using any bandwidth. I am a member of Freeworlddialup.com (a free SIP VOIP provider) and have more than one number with this company. With SIP I am able to use all kinds of methods to make and receive calls including (one of many) free software VOIP phones such as X-Lite (available in many forms including pocketpc!) or hardware solutions such as the Grandstream Budgetone 101 that plugs into your router and allows you to use any standard home phone as a VOIP phone. I have both and they both work exceptionally well all over and because SIP is a widely used standard, I can bridge to over 30 other networks to make calls. This means I (on freeworlddialup's network) can call others on say Vonage by entering **2431 before their number. Also because it is so compatible with everyone else, I am able to get a FREE POTS (regular phone line) number out of Washington State from a service online (people call my number with their regular phone and my VOIP phone rings, they don’t even know the difference!).

There are so many nice things about Standard VOIP technology, I could go on but I think you get my point. Skype is proprietary and not something I would get into.
By: Peter
Topics: 49
Added: 11/21/2005 - 10:46 AM

Hi sse

i am With Norman i would like to see in your software sip insted of Skype as i have found that my bandwoth is more slow when i have skype runing and it steams to crash my internet so it would be nice if you could make it

Ps Keep up the good Work

From
Peter harlockRoll Eyes
By: Marcus
Topics: 26
Added: 11/21/2005 - 11:23 PM

I can see the benefit that a user can send a message or chat with me from the logisphere webserver to a IM, but Skype is a proprietary solution, so I think there a better with somekind of SIP solution or multiple IM support.

sse, I would like to know what kind of information you got from the "Where to go with LogiSphere" poll, maybe to poll is still open?!
For your information, some of the links in the poll didn't work, I tried to make a comment for one of the question but I didn't have the right rights or something...
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 11/22/2005 - 03:01 PM

sse, I would like to know what kind of information you got from the "Where to go with LogiSphere" poll, maybe to poll is still open?!
For your information, some of the links in the poll didn't work, I tried to make a comment for one of the question but I didn't have the right rights or something...
Yes, the poll is still open. Those links are not meant to work for comments, but are a bug in this poll implementation.
(Managers can change question attributes through the link, Members should not see it as a link...)