Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Slow access through VPN
By: ZelB
Topics: 4
Added: 09/21/2009 - 04:56 PM

We have AbelCam installed on a computer on our network. The computer is behind a firewall; to access it we go through a VPN connection.

When connected through remote desktop, AbelCam works as expected.

When connected directly through the VPN, it is extremely slow. It takes so long to load the webpage that it is not useable. The connection starts at 6 kbps, but works its way down to 0 kbps. For comparison, a file transfer over the same VPN connection goes at ~260kbps.

Does anyone have any idea why the web interface for Abelcam would be so much slower than a VPN file transfer.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 09/21/2009 - 05:47 PM

What kind of VPN do you use?

I access AbelCam throught OpenVPN often and the speed at times is even faster than the direct connection because of the additional compression.

If you VPN does compression, try with switching it off, as most of AbelCams data (JPEG, WMV) does not compress well and might put load on your VPN device (whatever it is).
Added: 09/21/2009 - 08:24 PM

Thanks for your response. I don't think that this will be a compression issue. I tried transferring a zip file over the VPN and the transfer went with approximately the same speed as I expect from the VPN.
Added: 10/13/2009 - 09:17 PM

We are still experiencing this issue. The problem only exists with one computer that is running a webcam when the web interface is accessed over the VPN. The other web interface loads with a normal speed when accessed over the VPN. Both have normal speed when accessed locally.