Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Dynamic IPs with AbleCam?
By: MikeDs
Topics: 37
Added: 09/29/2009 - 08:44 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I have my WebCam working pretty well on a wireless broadband network (cell). It's not blazing fast but it serves my purpose. The problem is, the IP changes. It's installed in a moving vehicle and probably not what most webcam software expects.

Because the IP changes often while moving, my webcam server becomes inaccessible. I have seen other webcam software (like PySoft) that get around this by having the software push the new IP to their server and the webcam can be viewed, even if the IP changes. But I don't like their software and it doesn't control my camera PZT.

I don't have a domain name associated with the boadband connection so I can't use a redirection service (I don't think). But since I know at least one service that can deal with this, I was wondering if AbleCam can deal with dynamic IP, in a similar manner.

The abelserver.seiz.ch redirect seems to work, for seldom changing IPs, but for often changing IPs it's lacking. If the IP changes, the old server accessed through the old IP stops working. I haven't found a way around this yet. One way is to have a web bookmark with the server URL and when you lose a webcam, simply reload the URL but that is tedious.

AbleCam does have the capability to upload to any web server (via FTP) so it seems that it might be able to upload a file with the new IP when it changes. Either by a webpage that contains it or some other means.

Anyone use AbleCam with a dynamic IP, and not using a redirection service?

Suggestion if not possible:

I don't believe it can do that now but some modification to the program should be able to allow a Java program, or HTML with embedded video, for instance, to be uploaded, with the current IP for access. The only time the new file needs to be uploaded is upon a changed IP.

By: GormH
Topics: 24
Added: 10/05/2009 - 09:46 AM

I use a free DynDns.com account. Also download from same sight a small utility program who auto update with your dynamic IP address. Then you not need to think about current IP.
By: GerryH
Topics: 14
Added: 01/23/2010 - 02:35 AM

No-Ip might also work. no-ip.com