Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

AbelCam problem with latest CL-Eye drivers and Skype
By: SyedF
Topics: 25
Added: 08/22/2010 - 03:14 PM

Hello,

Dell Optiplex 755 Core2DUO, 4GB RAM, Windows XP SP3 with AbelCam 3.2.3.

Two web cams configured and added to AbelCAM

1. Creative Live Motion PTZ
2. PS3Eye Camera by using CL-Eye Driver (http://codelaboratories.com/get/cl-eye-driver/)

First Problem :

If I use an older version of CL-Eye driver (CL-Eye-Driver-4.0.0.1230) then the camera is detected and installed correctly in AbelCam and display is shown. (indicated by Red light in camera front turned on)

If I upgrade to the latest version of CL-Eye driver (CL-Eye-Driver-4.0.1.0501) then even though the camera still works fine and can show the display (checked via camera display option in control panel), but some how the camera does not works properly in AbelCam. It is added in the camera list but never starts the display even when clicking the small camera button on/off (beneath the display window).

This camera also has a USB Mic. built in, so can the AbelCam be configured in a such a way that it streams the audio (via the mic) whenever I access the Abelcam via internet from a remote location.

Anyone having any similar problems and a possible solution.

Second Problem:

Both the cameras are added to AbelCam and running. If Skype (4.xx) is run simultaneously to use any one of the camera for audio/video chat , then skype crashes when accessing any of the cameras (whether in the chat or in audio/video setup).

Any possible workaround for it. I know an easy way is to quit AbelCam before using skype, but something which can make them live together at the same time.

Thanks for your input.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 08/22/2010 - 04:01 PM

First Problem: No idea - sorry.

Second Problem: What you're experiencing is a limitation of Windows / DirectShow. As a general rule, only one app at a time is allowed to use the camera.

As you say, shutting down AbelCam when you want to use Skype is one solution.

Another solution is to use a "camera splitter" program. One free one is "Manycam" : http://manycam.com/ I have used Manycam a little bit - it seems like it works as advertised, it didn't destroy my system or bring me any malware, but I noticed it eats a lot of CPU.