AbelCam Forum
Download AbelCam buy Pro

Welcome Anonymous User
05/03/2024 - 12:11 AM
Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Sony sx44 handycam only 12 and 16 bit color?
By: KenCa
Topics: 6
Added: 12/17/2010 - 07:39 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Hello folks,

I have a Sony Handycam SX44 and use a Pinnacle dazzle video creator plus HD device to connect to a windows 7 system. When in ablecam config I only get 12 and 16 bit color choices... if I set the sony cam to 16.9 ratio able cam does not see it at this ratio. All ablecam sees is the 4.3 ratio

I have pic quality turned all the way up and I am getting in bytes about 1/10 of what I was getting on my old windows 95 system.

This cam looks great if I use it with the dazzle device and stream it live with adobe flash encoder.

any suggestions on how to at least get 32 bit color?

Thanks in advance for your time!
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 12/18/2010 - 10:41 AM

Hello Ken

what capture interface are you using?

You're choosing the capture interface when adding the camera
Added: 12/18/2010 - 06:17 PM

I am using VisioForge when selecting interface. I have 3 choices VideoCapx and it does not work just says cam offline. TyCapture and I get a choice of 320x240 or 640x480 ... When reloading cam after removing it it says interface VisioCamera ...

In settings using the VisioCamera I have about 2 dozen choices they are all YUY2 12 or mostly 16bit.

Am I missing some camera drivers?

I just to see switched the 2 cams around made the sony do streaming and the logitech c910 to do still images. I do have all the diff image sizes here but they are limited to 24 bit ... Should I not be able to get 32 bit color? Again sounds like drivers to me????

Things are running on a new hp p6610f system with windows updates, dazzle and logitech cam sofware, adobe flash encoder and abelcam as only added software. Basically as clean as one can get.

Thanks again for your time!!!!!
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 12/19/2010 - 07:21 AM

I've just spent half an hour Googling and reading stuff at Pinnacle's website. The published specs are vague and there's not much talk about the hardware device in their forums.

But I see that the device only has "NTSC (RCA)" and "S-VIDEO (DIN)" inputs. Neither of these is normally used for 16:9 HD video - these are for "old" 4:3 NTSC television and camcorders. (also there are complaints in product reviews that this device will not handle "true HD", whatever exactly that means) So I've got to ask: Have you seen any evidence, with any software, that this Dazzle hardware can capture 16:9 and feed it into the PC as 16:9 (properly, not letterboxed into a 4:3 frame)??

VisioForge is by far the best capture interface choice for this job as it is the most effective at discovering ALL the resolutions and color depths that a hardware device's drivers advertise to applications.

I don't think for a second that an 89 dollar capture device is capable of 32-bit color. If you are feeling adventurous, open that beast up and tell me what digitizer chip it's based on. I'm betting it's just a Conexant BT-8xx of some sort. That info might or might not help lead to a solution, but I do know my chipsets pretty well and can probably at least put the color depth question to rest.

Also, I'd kinda expect that Sony camera to have a 1384 (Firewire) port on it. If it does, try leaving out the Dazzle entirely. Plug 1384 straight into the PC, Windoze should load up a PnP driver for it (MSDV Camcorder most likely) and AbelCam can work with that. In TyCapture, DV resolutions are limited to the "well known" ones for 4:3 (because DV devices suck at advertising resolutions correctly) but VisioForge MAY be able to sniff out the real resolution.
Added: 12/19/2010 - 03:49 PM

Thanks Melvin...

Going to do some more checking around... As far as the Dazzle device goes, what I know about it and why I bought it is a couple friends bought out a local TV station a couple years back. Earlier this is they started using a dazzle device and were very impressed with it. They ended up buying 2 more. I know for sure that when they hook it up to their HD cams they do get 16.9 aspect ratio. NOTE the tv station does NOT broadcast in HD. But they do HD dvd's etc.

As far as the 100 dollar logitech c910 webcam goes... I really have no idea if it is 24 or 32 bit. The camera itself just shocks me. I use them for long range scenic shots. Shooting down 1 or 2 miles of Lake of the Ozarks... I admit the cam has limits but over all I am very pleased. Zooming in for example and just zooming in 1 with the cam software can take a beautiful cloudy sky and wash it out. Zooming in 2 or 3 might bring it back... Biggest problem is it digitally updating as the sun sets. Pic or stream will dim and then brighten back up rinse and repeat as it continually get darker, about every 5 or 10 minutes...

One thing that makes NO sense to me is with the abelcam software the ftp image is about 1/8 or 1/10 the size in bytes that my other ftp software produces. The picture from the abelcam sofware is BETTER quality even though its much smaller in size. When I say other software I mean software running on win 95 xp or unix systems, all of these produce close to the same image size.

Thanks again to both of U for your suggestions and comments.

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 12/20/2010 - 03:27 AM

Ken, I see I wasn't clear... everything I wrote in my previous post was in reference to the Dazzle. Maybe I'm getting mixed up - thought you were looking for 32-bit to come out of Dazzle. And I definitely was not asking you to take your Logitech apart.

Regarding what you said about the Logitech having trouble with sunsets, all I can say is "welcome to Logitech" (lol). I have a number of different Logitech cameras, exposure "hunting" is a common and so far insoluable problem with all of them. The auto-exposure logic seems to reside in the driver, not in the cam's firmware, and its behavior and bugs change from one driver release to the next. Perhaps they will eventually get it right but for now all us Logi-Owners deal with it to some degree...