Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Capture Interface Selection
By: KentSc
Topics: 3
Added: 03/11/2011 - 12:01 AM

What are the pros and cons of using TyCapture, VisoForge, and VideoCapX beyond those listed in the table at http://www.abelcam.com/en/documentation/webcam/captureinterfaces ?

The table shows differences in CPU utilization, TV Tuner support, WMV suppurt and the ability to Use Network Camera as image source. Are there additional features or drawbacks available with each?

I have 6 Logitech Quickcam Orbit AF webcams, a Logitech HD Pro 910, A Pinnacle 801e tuner stick, a Hauppauge HD DVR, and a Toshiba IP network camera. I am using the TyCapture interface for all the USB devices and the IP(Ptz)Capture interface for the Toshiba. I am not having any problems, but want to know if I would get any additional features by changing to VideoCapX or VisioForge. Are there any additional features they provide?

Kent Schwartz
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/11/2011 - 05:44 AM

VideoCapX can record audio as well as video when using Video Save in "record realtime" mode. Note I said "record realtime" mode. This isn't much of a feature since "record realtime" is just a user triggered "virtual VCR". None of the capture interfaces record audio in the motion triggered mode. This is because recording audio doesn't make sense done in conjunction with the time-compressed nature of the motion triggered recording. (Motion tiggered recording records individual frames, not an actual stream, so as to create video files that play back somewhat like a time-lapse movie)

VideoCapX is not as stable overall as the others.

VisioForge deals with Tuner/Analog cards a bit differently. It tends to find all the available video sizes/resolutions offered by the card rather than just the standard ones. I guess this could be useful for something.

VisioForge includes some effects that let you invert, emboss, tint, distort, etc. the video stream. Not useful IMO.

VisoForge is quite stable, last I checked.

I run my site (10 cams) the same way you do - TyCap and IPCam - and am quite content with it.

BTW - I'm the same guy you emailed with last week about webpage code.