Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Remote viewing of recorded video clips
By: DerekJa
Topics: 17
Added: 11/30/2011 - 04:34 PM

Greetings from a new and very happy user.

Is there any provision for remote viewing of recorded videos similar to what you can do recorded images? Ideally I would like to be able to select from a list of recorded clips, and have a link to this page available from the main links bar.

If it's not available now.. and I couldn't see how, are there plans on adding this feature in the future?

Thanks!

Skibum
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 11/30/2011 - 04:46 PM

My advice would be to install the php image gallery script that comes with AbelCam, then modify it so it produces a "gallery" of (links to) the filenames in your video save directory. Probably simpler if you set your video save directory to something directly available to the webserver (IOW a directory underneath wwwroot).

I don't know if SSE intends to add something like this to the included web pages in the future or not. Keep in mind those included pages are really meant to be examples - starting points - not finished product that does every conceivable thing.

Edited to add: If you do this, be careful to back up your custom work before installing any AbelCam updates! There's a warning in the docs that AbelCam updater overwrites wwwroot contents but nobody ever reads it LOL and many people have lost customized content as a result!
Added: 11/30/2011 - 04:57 PM

Thanks Melvin.

I'll have a look.
First thing I did was to change my root directory, but thanks for the heads up.
Added: 11/30/2011 - 05:01 PM

Wow! I'm happy to see at least one person read the docs and heeded the warning. Wink Most do not, and then they post angry stuff when their work gets zapped.
Added: 11/30/2011 - 05:42 PM

Hi again...

Ok I have installed php, and confirmed it works using the /php/index.php page.
If I am reading it correctly after making the correct folders under wwwroot, I should only need to browse to /gallery/index.php

Is that correct? Or have I missed a step?
I wasn't sure what you meant by "installing the phpimage gallery script" .... sorry. Smile

Thanks

Skibum
Added: 11/30/2011 - 06:35 PM

Making progress... it was a folder permissions issue.
Added: 11/30/2011 - 07:10 PM

OK Working now for stills.
Would love to get some input on making a gallery to do the same for video clips (wmv)

Thanks

Skibum
Added: 11/30/2011 - 09:57 PM

If you want a video gallery with thumbnail images, that's going to be tricky to accomplish. I've never tried it myself but obviously extracting a thumbnail from a video file automatically is non-trivial. A quick check of Google suggests that people are doing it with php + ffmpeg, and possibly php + imagemagick.

If you just want a gallery of links (no thumbnails) that should be super easy: modify the jpeg gallery code to look for .wmv (or .avi or whatever kind of video you are saving) instead of jpegs, remove the thumbnail generation code, and so forth.
Added: 11/30/2011 - 10:18 PM

Thanks again Melvin.

My extra long 32 foot USB 2 repeater from Monoprice arrived this afternoon. Works great, and you cant beat Monoprice for pricing.

Finally I can place the cam where I want. Smile
Added: 11/30/2011 - 10:26 PM

Well, let us know what you come up with for a video file gallery. After making my previous post I was having second thoughts about using the image gallery code as a starting point. Lots of stuff in there you may or may not actually want/need. I think using php is the right way to do this but it's a judgement call whether to modify the gallery code or just start from scratch...

I'm glad you got an extension for your USB that works properly. I've had mixed results with various brands. Some of them seem to be underpowered(?) resulting in the cam randomly resetting itself every couple minutes.
Added: 11/30/2011 - 11:11 PM

For the time being, I've just put up a page that will list any files that get added to the video storage location. I can then use IE and click to view.

UPDATE: Even better.. I normally use Chrome.
I installed the media player plug in as well as embed media player inline extension.
Now next to the links there is a button to play the video. Just what I wanted.
Now to just make the page pretty.

UPDATE2: I did the same for the still images folder and added hoverzoom extention for Chrome.