Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

v4.2.6 not working - File Not Found
By: MikeDs
Topics: 37
Added: 03/04/2012 - 05:39 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I have 3 computers. My main computer is a Vista OS. I updated AbelCam to 4.2.6 and it worked just fine.

I then tried updating my XP laptop. On that installation, it detected that .net framework 3.5 was not installed. I checked the box to install .net framework 3.5 and it installed ok. But when I finished and installed Abelcam and the requisite programs, it would not run. I get a very long popup error that said exception System.IO.File Not Found, could not load file or assembly along with a full page of cryptic register stuff.

I repeated this a number of times, by first removing the .net framework and reinstalling. Same results.

I then went to another XP system I have and exactly the same thing happened. It detected .net framework 2 (SP1) and I checked the install .net framework 3.5. Same results exactly.

Very strange taht I can't get 4.2.6 installed on any of my XP machines. I even tried installing .net framework 3.5 directly from Microsoft, and still get the same results.

Any idea why I can't get this to run on my XP machines? I did have a previous version of AbelCam running just fine on these XP machines.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/04/2012 - 01:17 PM

I can't help you because both my installations on XP are doing fine. However, maybe you can add a few items of info that I know SSE will want to know:

What Service Pack level is XP itself at (mine are SP-3)?

What version of AbelCam did you have before that was working?

Does the error message tell you what file wasn't found?

Added: 03/04/2012 - 01:30 PM

By the way... the current version is now 4.2.7. It might not help but it couldn't hurt to try updating. Get it at the top of this page:

http://www.abelcam.com/en/membersonly
Added: 03/04/2012 - 01:38 PM

I'm using service pack 3 (SP3) on this laptop. I've been using the laptop for many years. It's never had a problem, other than getting on in years.

I just checked my Netbook and it's SP3 also.

I don't recall the version of AbelCam, but it was probably oiginally istalled about 2 years ago.

The error is almost a full screen of text. Where I would expect to see a file name, it had the registry entry hex string.

The version of AbelCam that I was installing was one that was released in Feb. (4.2.6). I did google my problem and found others had the same problem about 5 years ago. That problem had to do with missing files in the .net framework, and reinstalling net 2.0 was the solution at the time, which is why I reinstalled it a number of time.

Also, I had older versions of .Net installed, when I installed the latest version. So, when complete I had 1,2 and 3.5 version of .net framework installed. That is why I decided to wipe my laptops clean of .net framework and try again. I've been cleaing all the garbage out of my computers and will try the install again, later today, after all the maintenance is done.

The thing I wonder about is the fact this happened on 2 XPs and worked fine on my Vista desktop.

Mike
Added: 03/04/2012 - 09:21 PM

Info:
My OS: XP, with SP3 installed
AbelCam: Latest version from download site (4.2.6 or 4.2.7) don't recall the specific version except it's the latest released. I think it had a 2/17 date.

Ok, here is the error. I cleaned my system and retried the install. It installed everything as I would expect.

1) I saw it detect that .net framework 3.5 wasn't installed.
2) .net framework 3.5 was checked for install
3) I watched it download and install .net framework
4) I saw ablecam detect it was then installed and proceeded with the other requisite programs
5) I saw it download the visual studio files
6) I saw it install abelcam.

But, when I try to run abelcam, I get exactly the same problem I had before. I see this on 2 of my XP machines.

Here is the error sent

Added: 03/05/2012 - 02:27 AM

Looks bad to me Shocked Actually I've got a few half-formed thoughts as to what's happening here but nothing definite enough to post. All those references to "Culture" in the error message are probably significant. Your computers are set up for U.S. English language and culture (culture being all the little stuff like currency symbols and date order and thousands separators and whatnot), right? AbelCam deals well with many languages and cultures but if you're set up for something really unusual like Ancient Inner Mongolian or something there could be trouble.

Probably better if we let SSE handle this one... Cool!
Added: 03/05/2012 - 06:11 AM

Interesting comment. One of my XP machines had a foreign translation software on it, for Word, for dealing with French documents. I don't think the other did, as it was a netbook and I didn't have word installed on it. I will check the language settings. Pretty sure I didn't have any Mongolian languages set though. Wink
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 03/05/2012 - 07:05 PM

Hello Mike

tried to reproduce this problem. Took my XP test computer and removed .NET 3.5 and all Visual C++ runtimes.
Then I installed AbelCam 4.2.6 Release 2012-02-17.
The installer took care of installing all prerequisites and finally installed AbelCam.
It worked fine.
This specific version has been installed on XP ~500 times and no one else reported this kind of problem.

Don't know where I could lead you from here.
Have you tried removing the Visual C++ runtimes before installing AbelCam?
Or do a repair install?
Or install AbelCam 4.2.7?
Added: 03/06/2012 - 02:11 PM

Yes, I've tried removing everything and reinstalling a few times. And I've tried it on two different XP machines.

On my XP laptop, I had .net 1, 2 and 3 and removed each of them at a time and reinstalled. Even down to removing all .net and Visual C components, rebooting and restarting. Then optimized my drives and did a basic cleanup and had the same results. I even bypassed the Abelcam install of net 3.5 by installing it directly from Microsoft and that also didn't work. net installed just fine and would work with my other programs that need it but not AbelCam.

Same on my XP netbook.

I thought I was using 4.2.6 but the last download on Sunday was 4.2.7 I think and it did the same thing.

I'm going to try one more time on this. The odd thing is an older version of abelcam used to work just fine on this XP machine. Must be some conflict with something on my computer. Or rather, some file that is missing, per the printout, but the error report is so cryptic that I don't know where to begin to solve this problem.
Added: 03/06/2012 - 03:12 PM

I just completed another install with no luck. Still won't run. I found a Visual 7 studio runtime file, so I uninstalled that. Then I reinstalled and this time selected Full Install instead of typical.

It downloaded and installed .net framework 3.5 without error
Then installed the visual C stuff and runtime.
Then it completed with Abelcam 4.2.7 beta and did it's housekeeping (cleanup)

No errors reported in the install. But when I tried to run abelcam, I got the same error above. Very strange.

I guess the only way anyone will be able to help, is if they can decipher the error report above.
Added: 03/06/2012 - 08:02 PM

I think what I'll try next is to reinstall .net framework 2.0. I googled this error and found a number of people, years ago, that had the same problem and that had something to do with 2.0. I don't have a clue why that might affect me, and this installation but I've tried everything else.

So, what I plan to do is:

1) Update Windows XP, to include all the latest updates.
2) Uninstall all .net framework versions.
3) Uninstall AbelCam
4) Reboot and start over
5) Install .net framework 2.0 (perhaps this will add the missing file)
6) Install AbelCam, which should detect .net 2.0 and install 3.5
7) Cross my fingers.

BTW, if I can't get this working, is there a way to get the last version of Abelcam, that doesn't need .net framework 3.5? Actually, I don't think the problem is with 3.5 but I need to try other options.