Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

v4.2.6 not working - File Not Found
By: MikeDs
Topics: 37
Added: 03/04/2012 - 05:39 AM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I have 3 computers. My main computer is a Vista OS. I updated AbelCam to 4.2.6 and it worked just fine.

I then tried updating my XP laptop. On that installation, it detected that .net framework 3.5 was not installed. I checked the box to install .net framework 3.5 and it installed ok. But when I finished and installed Abelcam and the requisite programs, it would not run. I get a very long popup error that said exception System.IO.File Not Found, could not load file or assembly along with a full page of cryptic register stuff.

I repeated this a number of times, by first removing the .net framework and reinstalling. Same results.

I then went to another XP system I have and exactly the same thing happened. It detected .net framework 2 (SP1) and I checked the install .net framework 3.5. Same results exactly.

Very strange taht I can't get 4.2.6 installed on any of my XP machines. I even tried installing .net framework 3.5 directly from Microsoft, and still get the same results.

Any idea why I can't get this to run on my XP machines? I did have a previous version of AbelCam running just fine on these XP machines.
Added: 03/07/2012 - 02:30 AM

Ok, I found the solution.

I did some research, like I mentioned above. About 5 years ago, others were getting this same error. The problem, then, was .net framework 2.0 that had a missing file. The fix was to reload .net framework 2.0.

Then today, I went to the Microsoft site and it said that .net framework 2.0 has some "requisite features" that are "required" in .net framework 3.5.

So, I reinstalled net framework 2.0 and AbelCam began to work properly.

So, it appears that there are some files or features in 2.0 that are still required in .net framework 3.5 and AbelCam.

By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 03/07/2012 - 08:06 PM

There's light at the end of the tunnel.

Just install the NET framework 3.5 SP1 and it should work....
...as the download page says: make sure you have the latest patches installed...

{smartassembly} added this as a prerequisite - unfortunately I was not informed about this until a opened a ticket with them Sad

All these error messages were misleading Undecided

Looks like the latest .NET 2.0 brings the required features as well?
Added: 03/08/2012 - 01:12 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

I did have NET Framework 3.5 SP1 installed. When I was having this problem, I went direct to Microsoft and downloaded 3.5 SP1. But it didn't fix the problem.

Then, I noticed that they have a note on NET Framework 2.0 that says:

"Overview
The .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 provides cumulative roll-up updates for customer reported issues found after the release of the .NET Framework 2.0. In addition, this release provides performance improvements, and prerequisite feature support for the .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1. "

So, it appears that net framework 2.0 had some requisite files even for 3.5 SP1.

I installed NET Framework 2.0 and the problem went away.

PS: There is also a note on NET Framework 2.0 that mentions something about a FULL NET Framework 3.5 SP1. So it might be that an update to SP1 doesn't fix it but if you do a "full" install, it might. Haven't tested that. I'll leave it up to othrs. I just know that 2.0 does mention dependencies for 3.5.