Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Making it payware
By: Daniel
Topics: 26
Added: 07/14/2005 - 11:25 PM

First of all, I really like logisphere. I am using the sphere now for 2 weeks and I was looking for a way to control the cam via web and found logisphere.

In the past I tried dozens of programs (not for the sphere/orbit), none of them really satisfied me at all.
What I like about logisphere is that you can easily setup a kinda live picture and a ftp-upload pic with a small programm. I do not care about programs that look really nice, with millions of features that no one ever needs....

My most favirote for live-streaming was NSV-Tools by Nullsoft. Nice programm, absolutely free, large community... but no FTP at the same time.

I would use logisphere even without having the ability to control the cam / zoom.

What I really do not like, is paying for this software. I can understand the auther (You), that you want to make some money with it. In fact, you are doing a great job. For my, as soon as I have to pay for it, even only a couple of €, I would looking for something else.

I really like the idea of sourceforge, develop good software, commited and getting better by lots of users.... and making the money with something else. With donations, commercial-banners.... or in your case with trying to sell your know-how to logitech e.g.

You wrote that only about 130 different users downloaded logisphere and you wonder why there is only a hand full online pics on your site. Even if all of the 130 persons would pay for it (and they definitely will not) would pay 5 or 10 or even 30 € for the software - well thats about it.

Imagine what a company like logitech would pay you? Well, 130 times 10 - thats peanuts for them.

I would prefer a way to make the programm open to as many users as possible, getting as much feedback as possible and making the code better and better. And believe me, you will be a rich man.

Do not know if you understand what I mean exactly, but keep up the good work.

Greetz
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 07/18/2005 - 12:48 PM

Hi Daniel

First of all, I really like logisphere. I am using the sphere now for 2 weeks and I was looking for a way to control the cam via web and found logisphere.

In the past I tried dozens of programs (not for the sphere/orbit), none of them really satisfied me at all.
What I like about logisphere is that you can easily setup a kinda live picture and a ftp-upload pic with a small programm. I do not care about programs that look really nice, with millions of features that no one ever needs....

I am glad you like the software. Most of the features are user requested - I am implementing only what has been requested by the early users.

My most favirote for live-streaming was NSV-Tools by Nullsoft. Nice programm, absolutely free, large community... but no FTP at the same time.

I would use logisphere even without having the ability to control the cam / zoom.

That is very good to hear - still I'd like to improve the control features.

What I really do not like, is paying for this software. I can understand the auther (You), that you want to make some money with it. In fact, you are doing a great job. For my, as soon as I have to pay for it, even only a couple of €, I would looking for something else.

I guess we all don't like paying for something. It's each individuals decision if the product is worth the price...

I really like the idea of sourceforge, develop good software, commited and getting better by lots of users.... and making the money with something else. With donations, commercial-banners.... or in your case with trying to sell your know-how to logitech e.g.

I also like the idea of open source. For 7 years now I am runnning www.webtruck.org, a community site with lots of people who share ideas, pictures and messages. I published numerous code examples on that site.

Unfortunately, there were no essential contributions from the Members.
To the contrary, I almost exclusively get requests of people who want to strip my code to use it for their own projects.

As you said, I need to make money with 'something else'. Well - LogiSphere is something else...

You wrote that only about 130 different users downloaded logisphere and you wonder why there is only a hand full online pics on your site. Even if all of the 130 persons would pay for it (and they definitely will not) would pay 5 or 10 or even 30 € for the software - well thats about it.

You misunderstood my email. I was wondering why only 2 or three out of the numerous users of LogiSphere set their camera to be listed on
this site.

Imagine what a company like logitech would pay you? Well, 130 times 10 - thats peanuts for them.

You don't seem to know the market - no company would be willing to pay 10€ to include my software on their driver CD.
Logitech showed no interest in what I am doing - they don't even provide some information to improve the current features.

I would prefer a way to make the programm open to as many users as possible, getting as much feedback as possible and making the code better and better. And believe me, you will be a rich man.

I will improve the software until it is where I want it to be (believe me, I have many more ideas).

I don't think making it open source will make me rich - examples in the past have convinced me of the opposite:
Many people copy code and ideas without respecting license terms. Lots of questions from people attempting to do things they are
not qualified for cost lots of time. As I am selfemployed, I don't have resources to cover all of that.

Do not know if you understand what I mean exactly, but keep up the good work.

I think I understand very good what you meant. I hope this answer will make you understand why open source is not the way to go for LogiSphere