Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

How to view my webcam online?
By: GerryS
Topics: 0
Added: 12/06/2007 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I am lost. I've just added and configured my webcam. I ticked the 'Web Server' box and clicked the 'Autohost' button. This addded my IP address and now the 'Picture URL' box reads: http://83.70.182.29:8080/current.jpg.

However, when I click 'Test 2' or any of the other Test buttons, the web browser tell me that 'The Page Cannot Be Displayed'. How can I view my webcam online (from other computers)? I don't want to embed the camera in a particular website or use any options, I just want to be able to view the webcam from another computer. Is it possible to restrict access to viewing by a password. If so how? Thanks very much.
By: JasonC
Added: 10/21/2008 - 03:34 PM

what are you talking about? the point is how to view the webcamera intalled in home Surveillance Systerm through internet website from any computer (in liberary;office;coffee store etc).rediret just do the internal part work,for external help nothing. the answer must be directly to the point. for example, type www.somehost.com or something else.

all mess up, the question and the answers.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 10/21/2008 - 03:48 PM

Hello Gerry

AutoHost inserts your external IP address number, which is usually the IP number which connects your router to the internet.

It is not unusual that a router is not capable to redirect requests from within the internal net to the outside IP number back into the internal network. That is why
the test buttons fail.

If you want to see your webcam from within the internal network, you need to figure out the ip address of the computer running AbelCam.

you can do so by executing Start/Run/cmd
in the command windows type ipconfig and confirm with enter
ipconfig will show you the computers internal IP nummber (eg 192.168.1.34)
Now you can access AbelCam from within the internal netzwork using this IP number:
http://192.168.1.34:8080/

Please let me know if that helped, if not please provide more information.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/22/2008 - 09:14 AM

From JasonC:
what are you talking about? the point is how to view the webcamera intalled in home Surveillance Systerm through internet website from any computer (in liberary;office;coffee store etc).rediret just do the internal part work,for external help nothing. the answer must be directly to the point. for example, type www.somehost.com or something else.

all mess up, the question and the answers.

Welcome to AbelCam Forums, JasonC. Roll Eyes Do you have a specific question you need answered, or perhaps a specific answer for one of the questions posed in the threads you have been posting in today? Or are you simply here to criticize and complain that the answers don't perfectly answer your as yet unasked question?

I could ask you the same question as you asked above: "What are you talking about?". Be clear, be reasonably courteous, or be gone!

Note that if you are incapable of configuring DNS and/or your own router that is not the software's fault. Any router advice found here is offered simply as a courtesy/convenience to users.
Added: 10/22/2008 - 05:30 PM

sorry Melvin,I just show my disappointment to these answers.I am a new user but my computer skill or knowlege is above the average.Gerry's question is to view from any computer OUT OF THE LAN and havs internet access. even though, he failed to test from the local computer (server side), now these answers only focus on the LAN side or router side, like redirect DMZ etc, yes, it should do that if there are more than one computers with different local ip like 192.168.1.1;192.168.1.2;192.168.1.3 etc. but nobody answer the key : what ip address should user type in on the compuers OUT OF THE LAN.is http://83.70.182.29:8080/current.jpg ok? I don't think so, because it is dynamic one. so what is the answer?

please let Gerry and me know, thanks.
Added: 10/23/2008 - 06:56 AM

Okay, I will try to put it all together in one post.

For this example, "outside IP" is your IP address on the Internet (outside of the LAN). "inside IP" is the IP address of your computer on the LAN.

inside IP = 192.168.1.2
outside IP = 83.70.182.29 (assume for now it is static)

AbelCam Port = 8080

So first, configure your router to forward Port 8080 (outside) to 192.168.1.2 Port 8080 (inside).

Run AbelCam, and click the Auto Host button. This should fill in "83.70.182.29:8080" in all the various IP fields. NOTE: if it doesn't, you don't necessarily have a problem. Those IP fields are only important if you are trying to get listed on the Cam List page on this website. They also effect how the Test 1, 2, 3 links operate.

Now... go to the Coffee House (or whatever) and browse to 83.70.182.29:8080 and you should see your camera's default web page. Or browse to 83.70.182.29:8080/current0.jpg to see only the image.

If you did everything above correctly but the Coffee House Test fails, your ISP is probably blocking Port 8080. Change the Port setting in AbelCam to something different. Change router's forwarding settings to match. Test again.

Now if your outside IP is dynamic, it gets a little harder to set up AbelCam (or any server application). You've got a few choices on how to proceed:

1) Sign up for a dynamic DNS service. Make up a domain name and associate it with your dynamic IP. To reach your camera from outside you would then browse: "yournewdomainname.dyndns.org:8080"

2) Make use of the free Redirector Service here on multicamserver.com.

3) Wait until about Christmas time, when SSE will be launching "Abel Live" - a service that gets around most of these complications by acting as a "push point" brodcast server.
Added: 10/23/2008 - 02:38 PM

thanks MelvinG, your last post is very helpful,I am almost there.one more thing, when i use redirector service, do i type http://www.multicamserver.com/en/membersonly/redirector or else?
what is User ID 8802 for, how to use? please give me advices.
Added: 10/23/2008 - 06:27 PM

Jason, if you've got your AbelCam and your router set up right, when you go to the redirector page you should see 4 URLs and below them your cam picture. I *think* you got that far since you mention User ID and stuff.

The "Your User ID is XXXX" part is not important. The URLs / links below it are.

Copy one of the URLs exactly as it appears on the Redirector page (e.g. http://abelserver.seiz.ch/redirect?uid=880&lid=5082&target=picture ). Your uid & lid will be different - unique to you - that's how the redirector knows who's AbelCam site to redirect to. Note carefully that I said the URLs shown on the page as links - NOT the URL that is showing in your browser's address bar!

The URL you just copied can be typed into the browser on any computer in the world and you will be redirected to your camera. You don't have to be logged into multicamserver.com or anything, so that URL can be sent to friends or whatever.

The reason the URLs are displayed as links on the Redirector page is for easy testing. But, by copying them as I just explained, you don't ever have to go back to the Redirector page and click those links again (unless you want to).

For extra clarity, here's a partial screen shot showing the URLs I'm talking about, on the Redirector page.

Server URL -> your camera's default web page.
Picture URL -> your camera's image by itself.
Camera URL -> I can't remember, just try it.
Windows Media URL -> a WMV vid stream from your camera (ONLY works IF you have enabled WMV Streaming in AbelCam.

Added: 10/23/2008 - 06:40 PM

BTW Jason, I see in another thread that you don't like the GUI. Once you get your setup working, you might want to go to the Issue Tracker. Check out the thread "AbelCam 2.3.7 Release 2008-10-14". Here you can download a BETA copy of the "future" AbelCam, which has a greatly improved GUI and other new features.

Disclaimer: Since it's beta it may have some bugs. But I've been running it 24/7 with 8 cams and not had any serious problems.
Added: 10/24/2008 - 04:21 AM

thanks Melvin,I did everthing as you instructed.everything was good until I click or copy these URLS or links to the redirector pages. they can be displayed.I set TCP 8080 port forward to my pc on which the abelcam webserver is installed, and open firewall for Abelcam program, the redirctor page show successfully( four redirector URLS, my picture view from webcam),why do the links work? please help me more.
Added: 10/24/2008 - 12:39 PM

"why do the links work?"

I'm going to assume that is a typo and what you mean is the links do NOT work... right??

I'm not sure what is wrong. Since the picture from your webcam is showing on the Redirector page then things are "almost" working. That tells me your router is set up correctly and your ISP is not blocking port 8080.

All I can think of is that the URL settings in AbelCam are somehow set wrong. Here is a screen shot of AbelCam setup on one of my machines. I just tested it with the redirector and it works fine.

Of course this shot shows my IP address - you will need to use your IP address instead.