Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

How to view my webcam online?
By: GerryS
Topics: 0
Added: 12/06/2007 - 10:51 AM

Hi, I am lost. I've just added and configured my webcam. I ticked the 'Web Server' box and clicked the 'Autohost' button. This addded my IP address and now the 'Picture URL' box reads: http://83.70.182.29:8080/current.jpg.

However, when I click 'Test 2' or any of the other Test buttons, the web browser tell me that 'The Page Cannot Be Displayed'. How can I view my webcam online (from other computers)? I don't want to embed the camera in a particular website or use any options, I just want to be able to view the webcam from another computer. Is it possible to restrict access to viewing by a password. If so how? Thanks very much.
By: JasonC
Added: 10/24/2008 - 02:32 PM

yes, it is a typing error.I did the setting on webserver almost exactly same as you do,just checked some more options like autostart; collect client stats and screen capture(of course, IP is my own)I agree with you,my webcam view picture is on the redirector page means everything should be sucessful.what I want to mention is on the webserver page (refer to your post above)if I use local ip like 192.168.1.3 for server URL,picture URL ,cam URL, the test1.test2,test3 were ok,but if they are public IP (in your case is76.171.239.36)instead, not only test1,2,3 fail,but even I type it to browser address bar (like yours 76.171.239.36:8080)it doesn't work too. it is werid.

by the way, I wanted to post the screen shot like yours, I used ctrl+print scrn/sysrq, but I don't don how to past it into the post.

thanks a lot, Melvin. take times and no rush for my issue.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 10/24/2008 - 03:11 PM

To post a screen shot you must save it as a gif or jpg file, then put it on a web server, and then use the "Image Wizard" (below the row of smileys in the post editor) to make a link to it. I put my screenshots on my own server - you could use Photobucket.com if you don't have your own web server.

About your Redirector problems... I have almost run out of ideas. But you said something interesting: the test buttons work if you use the private (192.168...) IP but fail with the public IP. Which makes me want to know if you have tried using the Redirector from a computer OUTSIDE of your LAN??

My reason for asking is that SOME routers do not "understand" correctly when you try to access an "inside" computer by using the public "outside" IP - even when port forwarding is all set up correctly. If your router is like that, you will be able to access your cam from a machine outside your LAN with the redirector but will only ne able to access it with the private IP from a machine inside the LAN.

I strongly suggest that before changing anything else you test this. Try it from a machine at work or something, or if that isn't practical then send me a private message on this forum, containing your current IP address and port number, and I will try to access you cam from here.
By: JasonC
Added: 10/24/2008 - 04:18 PM

you are absolutely right, I thought so too last night so that I emailed these URLS to my office. now I tried in my office OUT OF LAN, it does work although the video move slowly like cartoon, I can see video or still picture from these links but it only took a few minutes, the camera bacame dark and later I couldn't see anymore and these URLs can still lead me to these right pages but no more picture or video. what is going on, is there any time limit for this?

oh yes, my son just happpen to stay home and using that server PC which I intalled Abelcam program and tried, websever must have start automatically, I called him to make sure he didn't do anything else,jut turn on the computer and now it is still on.

Added: 10/25/2008 - 08:33 AM

Okay, it sounds like the access problems are solved. Now you probably need to tune your settings to get the best video your internet connection can support:

Slow Video: first thing to do is adjust Framerate (FPS) to a reasonable value. The default value is 1 FPS which is obviously quite slow. You will find that you need to do a "balancing act" between Framerate, Resolution and Compression Quality to find the ideal settings for your system and connection. High Framerate and Resolution makes nice video but it will also use much more CPU on your machine, and probably exceed your connection's upstream bandwidth limits.

Not sure why your cam would "go dark" like that. If you are using a Free License (or no license at all) there are time restrictions (see info HERE ). But I think that when time-out occurs, the web server turns off - not just the camera.
By: DomenicoS
Topics: 59
Added: 11/20/2008 - 11:33 PM

Hi.

I'm trying to view my server on moby internet, but i get "Not Found" message.

I cant open nothing, .jpg included. Can somebody reach my server from moby or pda?

cres-webcam/pda

Before lot of time my friend opened my PDA site, but we didn't menage to move Orbit around. (We didn't try enough!)

Are there any known usual restrictions from mobitel internet providers to conect to services as AbelCam server?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 11/20/2008 - 11:52 PM

Hello Domenico,

I just tried from my mobile, and it worked fine.
Maybe you should ask your mobile provider if the have any restrictions.
Some times they filter ports and/or force proxies.

I was able to move the orbit.
Added: 11/21/2008 - 12:28 PM

I just accessed your site from your link and it worked fine. I was able to see the video and move the camera normally.

Somebody in Europe should answer your question about restrictions on mobile Internet. AbelCam for PDA works fine with mobiles in USA, but our system is very different from Europe's.
Added: 12/15/2008 - 02:11 PM

Message has been edited, click here to see original content

Hi

Is this already in version 2.3.8?

"3) Wait until about Christmas time, when SSE will be launching "Abel Live" - a service that gets around most of these complications by acting as a "push point" brodcast server."

I ask because I cant save my DynDNS address in internet setup, it always writes back my external IP, which is not static.

(Picture quality which we set up in AbelCam only refers to picture and video viewed on server, and not to picture which is sent over FTP - which always looks good quality?)
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 12/15/2008 - 03:41 PM

Domenico, you probably set 'WebServer Basic / AutoHost on Startup' which indeed inserts your current public IP number.
Otherwise, AbelCam does not change your settings.

If you have DynDNS, use your DynDNS host name as hostname.

FTP upload uses the same jpeg quality setting for upload as currentX.jpg
Added: 12/15/2008 - 10:50 PM

Thank you a lot! There are lot of button for which I'm not sure what they really do Sad
I tried that also before, but not in good way...

I unchecked WEB SERVER and LISTED, than write DynDNS address, check WEB SERVER and LISTED and file/save...

Works!