Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Is this normal behaviour?
By: PeterPe
Topics: 3
Added: 01/07/2008 - 02:48 PM

I have installed the newest version 2.2.2 of AbelCam on my P4 1,6 Ghz /1GB RAM Computer under XP SP2 german with a Logitech Sphere Cam. I found three things:

1. When the Abel Service is running, there is always disk activity, permanent read/write operations. The Abel service consumes permanent between 10 and 15 percent CPU. I have no video streaming server and no web server configured, just every 10 minutes a snapshoot. Is this normal behaviour?

2. The shutdown.exe -f -s is no longer working. Nothing happens, when this command is used. I need this, because its a remote controlled (RDP) machine without physical access in my weekendhouse. The normal shutdown via Start --> Shutdown is working. Is this a known issue? Is there a correction?

3. This machine is also sometimes used as video PC for my TV which is connected to the video card instead of a Monitor. So i have set a very low resolution (for a 16:9 Tube TV) with big fonts. When i open the form for the settings of the camera (Logitech Sphere) there are some sections unreadable (half hidden) because of the font size, but not all. Unfortunately, i have no screenshot. Is this a correctable problem with the form?
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 01/10/2008 - 12:28 PM

Hello Peter
1. When the Abel Service is running, there is always disk activity, permanent read/write operations. The Abel service consumes permanent between 10 and 15 percent CPU. I have no video streaming server and no web server configured, just every 10 minutes a snapshoot. Is this normal behaviour?
Maybe you have debug enabled? Or is memory low and the system is swapping all the time? I can't think of any other reason to have constant disk activity.
What version of the Logitech Driver are you using? Some driver versions don't work well. Also make sure you set the lowest possibible frame rate.

2. The shutdown.exe -f -s is no longer working. Nothing happens, when this command is used. I need this, because its a remote controlled (RDP) machine without physical access in my weekendhouse. The normal shutdown via Start --> Shutdown is working. Is this a known issue? Is there a correction?
When you restart the service ( Start / Run / services.msc ), does the program shut down and restart correctly? This may also have to do with the Logitech Driver.

3. This machine is also sometimes used as video PC for my TV which is connected to the video card instead of a Monitor. So i have set a very low resolution (for a 16:9 Tube TV) with big fonts. When i open the form for the settings of the camera (Logitech Sphere) there are some sections unreadable (half hidden) because of the font size, but not all. Unfortunately, i have no screenshot. Is this a correctable problem with the form?
No, AbelCam uses the standard settings. However, you may use Web Administration to configure most settings.
Added: 01/14/2008 - 02:52 PM

Hello!

Next weekend i will check the things.

Ad1. The machine has 1 GB RAM installed an approx 600 MB free. I´ve not activated the debug option. The drivers came from Logitech, i downloaded it approx 3 weeks ago. Pls could you tell me the version number of the version that you use?
I will use filemon to see which file is accessed all the time. The only thing i configured is to make a snapshot every 10 minutes. Does this interact somehow with some framerate?

Ad2. I will try this....

Ad3. I will take some screenshot to show you. I will try the web interface too.

Thanx!

Added: 01/14/2008 - 05:47 PM

Hello Peter

I made good experiences with driver version 8.4.1.1092 dated 2004-10-08
Not sure what models of the Sphere it works with - probably just the first one and not the MP or AF models.

Framerate has nothing to do with local save - but if you only want to save a image every 10 minutes, a high frame rate is just a waste of resources.

By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 01/18/2008 - 12:12 PM

Regarding the constant hard disk activity:

I have HDD "thrashing" on both my AbelCam boxes too but I've been too busy until today to get involved in this thread. Here is what I have learned, mainly just by reading Filemon logs.

1) AbelCam IS accessing the drive constantly. It's accessing a file called key17.gif, which just happens to be my Overlay (aka. luminence key) Image file. In a way this kinda makes sense that it would do that, though I wonder if it wouldn't be more efficient to load that file into RAM from disk on startup and/or config changes, and leave the disk alone the rest of the time?

2) Interesting but probably irrelevant: even with AbelCam shut down, one of my boxes continued to exhibit disk "thrashing". Turns out that if I allow the utility for my Netgear 802.11g adapter to sit in the system tray, windows explorer pounds away continuously at the utility's exe file (wpn111.exe). Odd and rather annoying.
Added: 01/24/2008 - 10:57 AM

Hello!

Last weekend, i had a little time to check the things:

1, disk activity: I use a program called hddled to show on the display, when the hd is accessed. I dont know why, but in conjunction with AbelCam, there is alwas a little disk acces about 2 times per sec. I found this with diskmon and filemon. It happens only when both programs are started. I use Logitech Driver Ver. 11.5.0.1145 from 11.10.2007

2, The shutdown.exe is now working, dont know why, but fine.

3, I made two screenshots of "unreadable" Forms, small jpgs, how can i send (post) them ?

Thanks
Peter

Added: 01/24/2008 - 02:56 PM

Hello Peter

1) The disk activity have been discussed in the AbelCam Issues, a new version is available which reduces disk actitivy to a minimum.

2) I'm using driver version 11.1.0.2016 dated 2007-07-18 for the Sphere AF, 8.4.1.1092 dated 2004-10-08 for the regular Sphere.
I have no idea if your version behaves better or worse ( I don't want to be a Logitech test center Undecided )

3) See the Support Page for where to send your screen shots