Quick Search:
Quick Jump:

Announcements
Latest Topics

Trying to add an IP Camera on LAN
By: GregoryR
Topics: 20
Added: 03/15/2009 - 11:18 AM

Have ablecam working on my Logitech sphere & works great. Web Seerver &everything

Might like to get ablecam to work with my other (noname) wireless IP cameras (No pan/tilt OK)

Adding a Camera Direct:
Obviously it is not listed being on my local LAN and not direct to the PC.
Web-Video then config. Only option is VidCapX
I enter URL 192.168.2.21/image.jpg - Also tried via the port 192.168.2.21:81/image.jpg
Test - Both the above URL's SHOW the correct image OK.
I don't think it needs user/password to just get at the image but I have tried that also.

However, I just get the "camera offline" in the main window.
After a few seconds the messages say "too many errors while frame capturing"

Rather Odd I get the test image but nothing else. Web server off for this testing.
Do I need a IP camera driver or agent or something.

Only been trying for short while so don;t think to do with not purchasing 2nd licence.

Thanks I/A
Greg Reed.
By: MelvinG
Topics: 661
Added: 03/15/2009 - 09:56 PM

It sounds like you're doing it right. Hmmm... I have a couple of thoughts:

If you don't have a license for a 2nd camera you need to stop the Sphere while trying to run the IP Cam.

Also would be interesting to test the IP cam by putting the image URL (192.168.2.21:81/image.jpg) directly into your browser. Do you get an image? If you hit Refresh a few times do you keep getting fresh images?
Added: 03/16/2009 - 08:20 AM

Hi, Thanks for your reply. 192.168.2.21:81/image.jpg works fine direct into my browser. I have used this in the past with another remove viewer. Off at the moment. The camera also uploads vai FTP fine, Again, OFF at the moment so nothing could mess with this test.
I am wondering if it is something to do with the licence.
I do only have this One Web-Video in the Camera's list but actually on a different computer to the one that is in proper use now with the sphere. (I tested the sphere on my home PC first then moved elsewhere) It is on my home PC that I am testing my IP camera. I think the same licence key is entered in both PC's and perhaps this has somthing to do with it but I would have thought unlikely.
I'll prob. un-install ablecam and re-install the free version and see what happens.
If it works I will buy a second licence as it will operate from the same PC as the sphere, although getting bit concerned about bandwidth now I think about it. Orange UK Only gives me 280 mbps MAX upload. Do you think using FTP instead of the server will use bandwidth better. I only want 0.5 to 1 fps but the IP camera uses ftp on about 0.3 fps and seems to slow upload speeds a lot more than the sphere on server at 1 fps. Resolution the same. I want top picture quality and happy to reduce fps to 0.25, perhaps slightly less.
I use a broadband speed test & see how viewing the camera over the www (Not locally) effects the speed.
Added: 03/17/2009 - 11:46 PM

I'm afraid I have no idea what the problem could be with the IP cam. If you haven't got it sorted on your own yet, the best thing to do probably is create a Debug Log and send it in for SSE to have a look at. Instructions for doing that are here: SUPPORT PAGE

If you are going to have only one person viewing your cam at any given time, using the Web Server and viewing with the Java applet is going to be the most efficient use of your upstream bandwidth. When you do it this way, when the Java applet starts in the browser it requests an MJPEG stream from the server. The server then "pushes" images to the applet/browser. Since it's a push scenario the browser isn't constantly hitting the server with GET requests.

If you are going to have your stream public, with the chance of more than one visitor at a time, use FTP. That way each image only goes up your pipe once - to the FTP server - and you can set up your web pages so that all the visitor traffic is pointed at the image on the FTP server instead of at your AbelCam server.
Added: 03/19/2009 - 08:26 PM

I have submitted to SSE but says very busy at moment so could be a while. In the end I fiddled with Agents and got a licence for this also. With the Agent I managed to get both IP camera's working OK and added them to Abelcam main. Seems to be working quite well. I would prefer the extra functions with direct, motion detection etc.

However, Is it possible to load the two camera agents automatically when AbelCam Main starts. I have checked as many options as I can find, None seem to achieve this. I have it linked with the AbleCam main licence Key.

Agent server config "Connect on startup" I guess means on the agent startup as does not help. If I start abelcam without first running the agents the Camera list is empty. I could put them in the windows startup folder but not ideal and if Abelcam service runs before them I will have to close abelcam and restart which seems long winded.
Any idea's? thanks I/A.
Added: 03/19/2009 - 08:28 PM

Also follow up, With the two agents running they both show in the task bar at the bottom, can then be minimized to systray or pref. hidden completely. Sorry if there are answers to these question out there, I have looked but can't find.
Added: 03/19/2009 - 09:17 PM

Another follow up to my own question. Ref. Agents starting automatically. I have tried using the commands option and I can get the agents to run here but only using the test button, I can't get them to do it automatically. Also even using the Test and running both agents, Abelcam needs to be closed & restarted to see the agents. Is there a way to automatiicaly run these commands before AbelCam loads properly?
Added: 03/20/2009 - 08:29 AM

It seems strange that the IP cam would work with the Agent but not with AbelCam Web Video. I have not run into that before. Hopefully your debug files will show SSE what is going on.

To the best of my knowledge there is no way to hide the Agent at this time.

Also I don't know of any way to automatically start the Agent ahead of AbelCam at system start-up. If you are running AbelCam as a service, this gets even trickier since AbelCam service will run at boot-time but the Agents won't run until you log in (since Agent is an app not a service).

I run AbelCam as an application - not as a service - and I use several Agents. I do NOT use AbelCam's "automatically run at start-up" option. What I did is a bit clumsy but it works: I wrote a Perl script that starts one Agent, sleeps for a few seconds, starts the second Agent, sleeps, starts Abelcam, ... I put a shortcut to that script in Startup group, so as soon as I log in everything starts in the correct order. Not real clean, but it works Smile

Note: I used Perl because I'm familiar with it and already had a Perl interpreter (ActivePerl) installed on the machine. I think you could do the same thing with WSH/VBS (Windows equivalent of shell scripting) if you don't feel like installing Perl and/or learning it.
Added: 03/20/2009 - 11:32 AM

Thanks for taking time to consider my situation.
SSE I guess will be sometime before getting round to investigating so I thought I might try a few things. I will fall back on the agent solutions if no luck.

I think the "test" might simply check that there is a .jpg at the location specified whereas proper camera add uses the drivers VideoCapX, Visoforge & tycapture and I think this is where my issues are. Trying another direct source I can Add a camera using Visoforge & tycapture OK but this won't work with VideoCapX in the same way as the IP camera. Unfortunately the IP camera only give the VideoCapX option. I did briefly try finding a another (much newer) VideoCapX OCX online and copied to ablecam folder. This did not help, but not sure if is using this other OCX or whether I have to install or load it somewhere. Will do a little more research. I wonder what the agent uses for capture? No sign of VideoCapX in agent folders.
By: sse
Topics: 73
Added: 03/20/2009 - 05:57 PM

OK Greg, we agreed to discuss here and not through the support email Smile!

Here's a summary what I wrote yesterday by email:

> IP Camera test success, but no images when camera activated
Unfortunately the procedure to test the cam and the actual image request done
by VideoCapX is not identical.

There must be something that hurts VideoCapX image capture, but as I did not
write that code I don't know details nor can I change it.

> Why use the Agent?
The point of the agents is to take load off abelcam, they usually run on
a different machine. Also, using the agent you only need to configure only
one IP for incoming traffic on the router.

>Motion detection is weak
Try the latest release in
http://www.abelcam.com/en/membersonly/issues

It has a setting for improved motion detection.
To start the Agent as Service, just modify the AbelService.ini file:
[Settings]
ServiceName=AbelService
CheckProcess = 5 
[Process0]
CommandLine = "Network Camera Agent\AbelCamNetworkAgent.exe"
WorkingDir= c:\ 
PauseStart= 5000 
PauseEnd= 5000 
UserInterface = Yes
Restart = Yes 
[Process1]
CommandLine = AbelCam.exe
WorkingDir= c:\ 
PauseStart= 5000 
PauseEnd= 5000 
UserInterface = No
Restart = Yes 

This should work, but has not been tested.
Maybe you need to move the agent to a path with no spaces if the double quotes don't help.

The new VideoCapX.ocx won't work, because it needs an interface within AbelCam. Newer VideoCapX versions are not compatible with AbelCam. The reason to move away from VideoCapX are the high CPU usage and sometimes erratic behaviour. That's why we still use the old VideoCapX, which has been tested in hundreds of installations.

On our ToDo list the support for IP cameras is near the top. We also want to support motorized IP Cameras like the Panasonic BB-HCM311

Unfortunately I cannot dedicate all of my working hours to AbelCam - it's commercially not very rewarding.
That is why there are more plans for features than time to implement them...
Added: 03/22/2009 - 01:28 PM

Many thanks to SSE for above services info.

Being able to add agents as part of the services is great, Having a few issues but although spent most of yesterday trying to get it to work automatically at windows startup I came to a few conclusions.

Being at windows startup the two agents run OK but don't think they are fully recognised on the LAN (even locahost) fast enough for Abelcam to see them, Abelcam is started but no cameras listed. If I start the service manually once windows is fully loaded works OK. Tried two agents as a service and Abelcam autostart but still no luck. Tried increasing the PauseStart= 5000
PauseEnd= 5000 which seemed to slow but not enough & not sure what I am doing with these settings (And many other combinations)

I am thinking of using a delaying program @ windows startup, e.g. winpatrol but not so keen.
Did try putting "start service" in startup group but this I think was still a little quick for the LAN but I did not test a huge amount got sidetracked with the crashing issue. I hope that this might work as MelvinG manages to get his Perl script to work in this way.

At least can run them all from 1 click & all hidden so that is great.
(Using UserInterface = No, on the agents also)

For testing I am making sure I either use autostart in ablecam & NO services or visa versa (Making sure services are Auto or Manual as required)
Not sure if just my PC but on updating to either of the Beta's If I check Start Minimized or Minimize to systray once saved & restarted ablecam instantly locks up, (Grey screen with 1cm pixelated'ish bar at top) tried without any cameras installed etc etc. It does something to the settings in the SSE folder in documents & settings as if I copy a backup and copy back it works again without any other changes.
Interestingly with the beta's & running Abelcam via start services (UserInterface = No) this also crashes ablecam even though the minimize options are both UNchecked, implying if abelcam is hidden by any means it fails.

Tried removing before install, over-installing, auto update from beta 1>2.

Although it did the same lockup on a 2nd PC a few times, It does seem to be working now but not sure why, but at windows start always says ablecam already running (No services on so not sure why) Seems to run OK once message closed down.

I do need to try and isolate the causes myself but different issues seem to keep coming up, 1 step forward two back. On installing the 1st Beta it seemed list my Loitech Sphere by a different name although keeping same settings there seemed to be two configs and some erratic behaviour, could be a driver. I ended up removing all traces of camera's and re-adding, better now.

What is the best way to install the beta's. I see you can auto update from 09-03-12 to 09-03-20 and is reccommended.

My main query is if anyone else has the freeze on start minimized on 03-12 or 03-20 as I need the better motion detection on these beta's. but also like to start minimized to systray.